market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] "green chitting" or "pre-sprouting" spuds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joyce Paski <elderberrywine4u AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] "green chitting" or "pre-sprouting" spuds
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:23:54 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Allan:  I get my seed potatoes from Ronnigers Potato Farm in Idaho and follow their chitting practice (p. 34 in their 2005 catalog).
     "The method is simple:  spread the seed tubers in open-top crates, boxes or flats.  The tubers are placed in the flats with the seed end uppermost, with usually only one layer to a flat.  Bring the flats into a warm space (70F) and to a location where the light levels are medium in intensity.  The warmth tends to stimulate the development of strong sprouts from the bud eye clusters, which, in the presence of light, remain short and stubby and are not easily broken off.
     "Usually seed potatoes are exposed to light and warmth a week or two before planting.  The benefits derived from greening and germinating the seed before planting are not limited to merely gaining a better stand and a quicker maturity of the tubers, but it is claimed that a heavier yield is also likely."
     Hope this helps.  I'm curious -- what kind are you planting?  I'm going to try Katahdin and German Butterball this year (from Ronnigers) and also trying some bush sweet potatoes (from Shumways nursery).

Joyce Paski
Swamp Creek Farm
Z3

Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com> wrote:
If someone has the time to give me the low down on this practice, I'd
appreciate it.

So, how do you do it?