market-farming - [Market-farming] "green chitting" or "pre-sprouting" spuds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] "green chitting" or "pre-sprouting" spuds
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 10:18:39 -0500

If someone has the time to give me the low down on this practice, I'd appreciate it.

I just got some gourmet potato seed for planting in the hoophouse and definitely want to pre-sprout them before putting them out.. I thought we'd covered 'how-to' do this in this group, but, if we did, I can't find it any more. On the web, there's a lot of contradictory information, especially about light and no light. Time is of the essence. I'd like to do it right (and fast!)

So, how do you do it?

Also, for other novice early early potato planters like myself: be forewarned that potatoes cannot be shipped when there will be freezing temperatures between the supplier and your location...so, you might wait for a few weeks this time of year to get your order.

-Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV