market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm plan #3: organic transplants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm plan #3: organic transplants
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 22:41:29 -0500

On Jan 12, 2006, at 7:11 PM, robert schuler wrote:

I think the cost of certification would not be worth the trouble. I grew my transplants organically and sold them as conventional plants, this gave me a bigger market to sell to...

People who are not certified organic can buy organic transplants; but people who are certified organic can't buy transplants that aren't certified organic. So the market will be bigger if you certify than if you don't.

Of course if you find that you have to charge drastically more for them this would lower your customer base of people who don't need them to be certified; but you might well find that you didn't need to charge much premium.