market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] farm plan #3: organic transplants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] farm plan #3: organic transplants
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 19:11:11 -0500

I grew vegetable transplants for sale to local farmers for 20 years, I only
quit because I wanted to grow different crops. Looking back I would say
transplants were the most profitable greenhouse crop I grew. The short crop
time of 8-12 weeks and growing them in late winter into spring keeps fuel
costs very low.You can grow a 50 count tray of open pollinated tomatoes for
$2.00, hybrids for $3 to $3.50. a tray. I don't know what you can get for
certified organic transplants, I think the cost of certification would not be
worth the trouble. I grew my transplants organically and sold them as
conventional plants, this gave me a bigger market to sell to... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.