market-farming - [Market-farming] farm plan #3: organic transplants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Strawberry Wine <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: MF <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] farm plan #3: organic transplants
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 17:31:29 -0800 (PST)

There's about 6000 sq ft of greenhouse space here.  We're researching the viability of growing organic tranplants.  There are several CSA's and organic growers near us so the market is here (we'd also offer seedlings to retail customers--the greenhouses are located less than 1/2 mile from a major highway (easy access) and 5 miles from a major interstate) but first we'd have to get certified organic.  I need advice on this because i've been outta the loop for awhile.

Currently the houses are in use for annual transplants, most of which are not grown here.  What Joe's dad does grow is borderline organic already (though he's a very messy plantsman!!)  He's slowing down due to age so the greenhouse business as it's been conducted will slow down or go away unless we decide to take them over and do the organic transplants with them.  And to go organic will require a huge amount of time and effort because they are in severe need of cleaning up...they're workable, just need some long neglected maintenance.

Is there enough variety of organic seed out there to justify this transition??  Are organic transplants in enough demand for this to be an ongoing endeavor??  I don't want to go what we will have to go through to do this if it appears to be for a short-lived demand.

Liz Pike
Joe Rotenberry
Hillsville VA

Yahoo! Photos