market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Canning - How-to

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Canning - How-to
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:42:20 -0500

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 12:48:09 -0600, you wrote:

>Thought I'd try my hand at canning. Not having any experience at all, it
>seems starting with the basics like pH, temperature, equipment, etc....
>should be the starting point. Can any of you recommend books or web sites?
>How about some do's and don'ts? Sources of bulk jars will help too.

The 'Ball Blue Book' is the standard reference for *home*
canning. Maybe you can buy it locally, if not, it's here:

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALOrder.asp?P=2576

There is a very useful website (US govt/Univ. of Georgia)
all about *home* food preservation:

National Center for Home Food Preservation
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/

I've stressed 'home' above because I know nothing about
commercial canning, and I expect you'd need to contact the
appropriate state agency for supervision, inspection, etc.
Whether it's the Department of Health or Agriculture or
whatever, I don't know.

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania