market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:50:48 -0500

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 00:16:24 -0600, you wrote:

>An immigrant worker came to our farm this past year and said that if we
>plant gourds too close to squash the squash will become bitter. Is there
>any truth to this?

It cannot affect this year's squash.

However, they might cross-pollinate and if you save seeds -
next year's squash could be effected.

At least some gourds are _Cucurbita pepo_, as are some
squash, and they could cross and produce offspring - viable
seeds for the next year's crop.

There are gourds that are in a different genus altogether
(Lagenaria), but some are cucurbits.