market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Illiteracy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Illiteracy
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:48:00 -0600

Can't you cook some okra in a tasty way and have it at your market for people to taste?

Marty
On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:07 AM, Kelly Saxer wrote:

Beth,

I completely agree with you that folks are lacking the know-how to
appreciate, prepare and eat fresh vegetables...especially anything that's
not a "standard" veggie (as I've heard a few of my CSA members say). I run
a small CSA in Arizona and have found that to be the biggest obstacle I face
to increasing my member retention. I try to grow a wide variety of
vegetables and always provide my members with recipes on their weekly veggie
shares that feature a vegetable in their bag that week. Additionally, our
farm web-site features hundreds of recipes that are organized by vegetable.
I'm now debating whether to streamline the variety of vegetables I grow in
an effort to appeal more to the masses. I'm contemplating the elimination
of okra, black-eyed peas and kohlrabi from my farm as these are the veggies
that I most often hear criticism about from my members. Living in a nice,
warm southern state I really hate the idea of eliminating okra, especially,
and may seek out a restaurant or specialty market that will buy from me
during our long okra growing season. While I want to appeal to my market
and keep my CSA members interested (I certainly don't want them to feed like
I'm forcing vegetables their not interested in down their throats), I kinda
feel like I'm contibuting to their vegetable illiteracy by eliminating too
much variety from my farm repetoir. Does anyone out there have any unique
educational tools (other than just providing recipes) that they've used to
get folks excited and eager to try new vegetables.

Thanks,

Kelly
Desert Roots Farm
Queen Creek, AZ