market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Illiteracy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Vegetable Illiteracy
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:25:11 -0600

Kelly,
You can't go wrong giving the customer what he/she wants. Neither of us
likes black-eyed peas, I hate kohlrabi and Paul dislikes okra. We are
vegetable eaters as well as growers, and cook from scratch every day, but if
we belonged to a CSA where these vegetables were distributed frequently,
we'd find one that suited our needs better. Vegetable dislikes (really,
food dislikes) are often deep-seated. Better off to not try to change. A
recipe is great for a non-familiar veggie, but doesn't help if someone just
hates okra. Just my 2 cents.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

I'm contemplating the elimination
of okra, black-eyed peas and kohlrabi from my farm as these are the veggies
that I most often hear criticism about from my members. Living in a nice,
warm southern state I really hate the idea of eliminating okra, especially,
and may seek out a restaurant or specialty market that will buy from me
during our long okra growing season. While I want to appeal to my market
and keep my CSA members interested (I certainly don't want them to feed like

I'm forcing vegetables their not interested in down their throats), I kinda
feel like I'm contibuting to their vegetable illiteracy by eliminating too
much variety from my farm repetoir. Does anyone out there have any unique
educational tools (other than just providing recipes) that they've used to
get folks excited and eager to try new vegetables.

Thanks,

Kelly
Desert Roots Farm
Queen Creek, AZ