market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Latest tirade against organics

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Old Timin'" <oldtimin AT williams-net.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Latest tirade against organics
  • Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:50:54 -0400

K:Do you actually know of any organic products being grown on poor soil?
My understanding of the  certification process in Massachusetts is that soil condition is a  quantifiable point.

Oldtimin:I started mine in a solid clay garden. After I tilled each spring I would make a deep furrow with a push plow. I filled this with well rotted compost and planted there. The weeds got the clay , the crops got the good stuff. As I tiled this in each year the whole garden improved and I got good crops the first year.