market-farming - [Market-farming] keeping sweet potato greens fresh

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] keeping sweet potato greens fresh
  • Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:17:00 -0400

We're going to harvest our sweet potatoes this week, the first time I've everdone it before frost.

There is still LOT of nice green vine and, surprisingly, the best potato yield we've ever had (or so pilot digs seem to indicate).

I'd like to take a lot of the greens down to some Asian friends of mine in DC, but the vines wilt rather fast when severed.

Anyone been marketing potato greens? Or anyone can tell me how to keep sweet potato green fresh from harvest to delivery the next day?

Also, I seem to have heard that flail mowing a viney bed before harvest is a good idea, but I can't find a reference on the web.

Any ideas?

Thanks -Allan