market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Answers :)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Answers :)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 20:10:12 -0600

I sell the salsa kits for $4 - without tomatillos this year.

The other one I'm planning for next year is a calabacita kit with the
calabacita squash (I was really pleased with 8-ball this year), corn, green
chile, onion and cilantro - with the recipe of course.
I used regular weight yellow paper but will probably use card stock next
year and cut along printed lines, slip into some "recipe card savers"
(little plastic sleeves) I'd gotten years ago from Current, a hole punch in
the corner of both card & saver, a piece of ribbon or twine through the
corner and around the bag handle. Turned out to be the perfect project for
one of my boys who isn't into the real work of the garden and market. I'm
thinking taller bags for the calabacita kit with the ears of corn, but the
short bags are nice to see all the stuff.
I priced doing some guacamole kits but I'd have to buy the avocados and
limes and timing wasn't good to jump in with a whole case of avocados on the
downside of market season.
I think this is also a neat cooperative project between farmers at a
market - either recipes or kits featuring items that they can get from
different farmers or doing a joint offering which is what I did getting the
chiles for the salsa kits.

Other kit ideas??

From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>