market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Answers :)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Answers :)
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:22:46 -0600

Allan,
How big are your small ones?
We have lots around here - they're very common in this area of the country
for chile & salsa. I was relying on a neighbor who always grows them to
supply my salsa kits for market and of course he didn't grow any this year,
so I had to sell the kits without the tomatillos. Big lesson I've learned
the last 2 years is to grow it myself and not rely on someone else's harvest
schedule, planting or whatever.

Anyway, if they're an inch across or more they should be just fine. Cut one
in half and just lick it to taste and should be a bit juicy. Don't use them
if the texture is like an unripe apple.
The best way to sell them to people unfamiliar with them is part of a kit or
with the recipe. I used the qt size?/3" or so tall paper bags with the
handle - whatever you call them and tied the recipe on the handle. Kept the
boys busy and I'll send anyone the recipe doc I set up in Word - 5 cards to
a page.

Here's the best recipe for fresh salsa.
2 large tomatoes, peeled (I don't peel ) and chopped
4 tomatillos, husked and chopped
2 fresh Anaheim chiles, seeded and chopped
5 green onions chopped
2 fresh jalapeno peppers seeded and chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced fresh cilantro (don't list this if you can't provide it)
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
Combine all ingredients and let the flavors marry for at least 1 hour in the
refrigerator. May be kept 2 weeks refrigerated.
I just toss everything in the food processor. I found this year that I like
using paste/roma tomatoes better for the salsa. The redder color is just
gorgeous with all the greens.
Now make up a batch (or two) and buy a bag of tortilla chips for people to
sample the salsa and buy your kit with everything in it. If you don't have
cilantro or tomatillos leave it out of the recipe since they're tougher to
find and you just have a different flavor salsa. It's fine without either
one. If you can get a good deal on limes it works well to provide them in
the kit too - price accordingly.

Providing more is a good option. That's what I did when I had smaller
tomatoes. Just not sure how small you're talking.

The University of Colorado extension service has a booklet of salsa recipes
suitable for canning.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/columncc/cc010807.html

Enjoy those tomatillos!
Marcy
SE Colorado,
zone 5 where we got our first frost this morning. {sigh}