market-farming - [Market-farming] An opportunity to sell your veggies to local chefs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Matt Cheselka <mcheselka AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] An opportunity to sell your veggies to local chefs
  • Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 15:02:10 -0700 (PDT)

Don't know if everyone gets the ATTRA electronic newsletter, but I thought this was an interesting article.  Definitely a good way to seek out a chef instead of a chef seek out me!  I'm not able to supply restaurants at present, but it's definitely near the top of my "to do" list.

Anyhow, I though some of you'd be interested if you didn't already know.

Food Service Provider Challenges Chefs to Use Local Food
National food service provider Bon Appétit Management Company has challenged its 190 chefs in 26 states to offer diners a 100 percent locally grown meal, made entirely of ingredients from within 150 miles of the kitchen where it is served. The company serves 150,000 diners at corporate, university, and museum restaurants, and has launched the challenge to raise awareness about where the food on our plates comes from. The Eat Local Challenge highlights the issue of "food miles" – the distance food travels from the farm to the dining table – which environmentalists have described as the single most damaging factor to food quality and the environment. Whitman College ran a feature on how their food service participated in the Eat Local challenge.
Cheers,

Matt Cheselka
Cosmic Lettuce
www.cosmiclettuce.com