market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Question
  • Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 07:04:37 -0400

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 23:58:36 -0400, you wrote:

>Boy, do I manage to stay CONFUSED!!
>
>After harvesting nothing but yellowish large tomatillo to pass out in
>a 'salsa kit' for my CSA, I read in a recipe book '....green
>tomatillos are what you want for this recipe. "Yellow" tomatillos are
>too ripe and will not have the correct taste...'
>
>So, does this mean so green that they have not broken through the husk?
>
>Or, does it mean that if you are going to cook the tomatillos before
>blending them in salsa, that you really can use the hard green ones?
>
>I'll have SO MANY MORE for the salsa kits if it makes sense to use
>the 'hard, green ones'!

I am an expert on tomatillos, to say the least... but here's
what I do with them.

For salsa, I prefer them to be green - not yet broken
through the husk. They have a more tangy taste that way.
(But you can use them yellow too.)

But we eat them yellow too: I use them in stir-fries,
quartered and tossed into chili or other bean dishes, and
halved and roasted with other veggies.

I think - if you want to sell them yellow - you should
probably put up a sign explaining what to do with them,
because these uses are likely not familiar to many people.
Mostly, I think Americans think of tomatillos as salsa verde
and not used in any other ways. If they think of them at
all, that is. :)

Pat
-- northern Pennsylvania
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is
not only unpatriotic and servile, but also treasonable to
the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt, 1918