market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomatillo Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomatillo Question
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 23:58:36 -0400

Boy, do I manage to stay CONFUSED!!

After harvesting nothing but yellowish large tomatillo to pass out in a 'salsa kit' for my CSA, I read in a recipe book '....green tomatillos are what you want for this recipe. "Yellow" tomatillos are too ripe and will not have the correct taste...'

So, does this mean so green that they have not broken through the husk?

Or, does it mean that if you are going to cook the tomatillos before blending them in salsa, that you really can use the hard green ones?

I'll have SO MANY MORE for the salsa kits if it makes sense to use the 'hard, green ones'!

Thanks -Allan (Shepherdstown, WV)