market-farming - [Market-farming] Japanese beetles... wow!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Japanese beetles... wow!
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 21:15:41 -0500

Thanks for the advice, Allan Balliett and Bill Shoemaker,
regarding timing of Japanese Beetle Traps and Neem Oil.

OK, on Saturday morning I went to our local organic
supply house and bought one of each. I've been wanting
to get my hands on both anyways, so finally I forked out
$20.

It was this Sunday morning before I had time
to get out and spend time in the garden.
Lo and behold, there weren't hardly 30 beetles in the
whole 100' row, when just a week earlier there were
30 beetles per leaf on 2 or 3 leaves per plant.

On the other hand, sweet corn occupies the next five rows
adjacent to the okra. This was late-planted sweet corn
that is really kicking into full tasseling, with silks coming
out.

The sweet corn was abuzz with honey bees, and
by golly there were all the Japanese beetles.....
congregating on the tassles and some of the silks.
I don't figure they are worth fussing over on sweet corn,
but I'll mix up some Neem just to see how well it works.

The okra and the pole beans will still make a crop alright,
the leaves just don't look "picture quality" any longer.

Steve Diver
NW Arkansas