market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Farm Equipment

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Cherry Tree Farms" <ctfarms AT helicon.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Farm Equipment
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 09:57:22 -0400

        I second the auction method for finding stuff if you have an eye for what it will take to keep working no matter the condition of the paint.  And have an idea of what you would pay for it before the auctioneer is calling that item; if you would give no more than $400 for a particular cultivator then if the bid goes over that stop bidding!  If you can't figure what the item is worth to you, don't bid on it at all. I have been consistently amazed around here at folks bidding more than new for used equipment because they get caught up in the heat of the moment.  Those are my tips for surviving auctions intact.
         As for financing when I started up (another 1st generation farmer here) I found a smaller local bank in the next county that deals with farmers that was willing to work with me (which is more than I can say for Farm Credit).  They are still around though getting harder to find all the time.

Good Luck
Doyle
Cherry Tree Farms
Atop the Allegheny's in PA