market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Going Squanto was Heirloom Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Going Squanto was Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 06:31:45 -0500

> I'd really like to hear what the rest of you put in your planting
> holes, especially those of you using fertilizers.

I generally put a small handful of bone meal in each planting hole,
mainly to control blossom end rot. On land that had not been
fertilized for recent previous crops, I will work in about 500 lb/ac of
16-16-16 or similar pre-plant.
After they recover from transplant shock, I put 1/6-1/8 cup of 16-16-16
half way between plants. A few weeks later, the same amount of 46-0-0
or 33-0-0 or 21-0-0. And maybe (or maybe not) more nitrogen a few
weeks later. It seems almost impossible to give hybrids too much
nitrogen.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 330 days 18 hours 32 minutes