market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] RE: Tomato Stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] RE: Tomato Stakes
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:17:13 -0400

Tom when you use tall stakes over 6 ft tall the usual method of weaving on
short stakes with pvc arm extensions won't work, this is where wood stakes
come in handy because you can staple the twine to the stake instead of doing
a wrap around.
I solved the problem of rows blowing down almost always during heavy rains
with wind by using criss cross braces every 50ft or less along the rows. They
work most of the time or a least prevent a total blow down. If you use a
pneumatic driver where you can easily go 12" deep or more there is much less
of a problem with blow overs... Bob
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.