market-farming - [Market-farming] planting holes for Heirloom Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] planting holes for Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 21:15:24 -0600

Well, we're trying a new twist this year with hundreds of tomato plants.
We seeded early and repotted to gallon pots in the greenhouse, then we use
a *post hole digger* to make a hole the exact size of the rootball and a
little deeper. The new sandy beds are manured and dug in twice, with
another layer of straw manure on top as dry mulch. Just under the mulch is
a sprinkling of worm castings, blood meal, bone meal, alfalfa pellets, and
dried molasses. Dry climate, high altitude, 90 days frost free. Of course
it'd be better if we had the beds prepared last fall to percolate all
winter, but didn't have "Baca's Best" to dig in then ;-) Now we'll see.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net