market-farming - [Market-farming] Going Squanto was Heirloom Tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Going Squanto was Heirloom Tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:23:13 -0400

Nice to have a good tomato discussion going.

Did I miss a discussion on preparing the planting hole?

In the past, we've backfilled with pure compost. Last year, though, the compost seemed to be holding too much moisture and, for a while, I thought we'd lose the whole crop. This year, we're going with 1/3 compost and 2/3 soil (with kelp and rock dust)

We've had great luck fishing this spring. I'm wondering if anyone has had actual good results from burying fish with tomatoes. I know it comes historically recommended for corn, I'm wondering if tomatoes would enjoy a trout head or two in the planting hole. Anyone have an educated guess?

I'd really like to hear what the rest of you put in your planting holes, especially those of you using fertilizers.

Thanks -Allan