market-farming - [Market-farming] No-till Dryland Pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <TxBeeFarmer AT HotPop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] No-till Dryland Pumpkins
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 07:36:41 -0500

I'm thinking of planting a few rows of pumpkins on a patch of land (sandy loam) that has never been tilled and has a lot of wild rye and other weeds.  If I run two or three foot sweeps where the rows will be, then chisel, then plant, will the pumpkins be aggressive enough to overcome the weeds that will surely come from seeds left behind?  Guess I could chisel and run busters to turn everything under every time a new batch of weeds appears, but by the time all the weed seed are gone I'm afraid it'll be two late to plant this year.  What do you all think?

Mark (West Texas Zone 7b)