market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] tomato rebar length

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Betsy Knutson" <betsy AT gobigwest.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] tomato rebar length
  • Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 07:26:59 -0600

I am not Errol, but I think what he was referring to is frequently called a “handyman” or “Highlift” jack. It is usually about 4 feet tall (or more) and is very heavy duty. At my local farm store they sell an accessory for it called a post puller. It is a very heavy piece of metal about 4” x 7-8“ with two “D” shaped holes in it with the flats of the “D’s” along the 4” side. You put one of the openings over your t-post and slide it down fairly low and then the lifting nose of the jack is put into the other opening and you jack the t-post out of the ground. I have pulled t-posts that were very deep in the ground by myself with the use of that clever little tool and my handyman jack. It only takes a few seconds and beats the heck out of trying to wiggle and/or dig them out. There are pictures here: http://www.4by4connection.com/hiliftjack.html

Betsy
Southern Idaho, USDA Zone 5