market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato rebar length

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Errol Castens" <castens AT peoplepc.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato rebar length
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 22:41:25 -0400

Errol,

Just what is a 'farm jack?'

Tom

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:08 PM
Subject: [Market-farming] tomato rebar length

It's probably freaking out passersby, but I have some 10' rebar pounded about two feet into the ground for tomatoes. (A farm jack makes pulling them out pretty pain-free.) Last year I grew some cherry tomatoes that kept growing well past my 5' rebar sticking 4' out of the ground. Eventually they flopped over into the middle, making them much harder to pick and exposing them to soil-based disease, so this year we'll see what happens with a much higher trellising system.

Not that I'm recommending anyone else go to this much trouble...

Blessings,
errol
Oxford, Mississippi
Zone 7