market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Pole Beans and Tomato Stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Stephanie Nosacek" <breezynosacek AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Pole Beans and Tomato Stakes
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 09:32:19 -0400

People that use fencing tend to plant their plants closer together because the fencing can support it. Don't really know if it is better or not. A lot of people in VA use fencing instead of stakes. I don't know if it gives them better/more tomatoes or not. Might be that there are so many farmers using fencing it is cheaper and easier to use because they can recycle the fencing.

This is the first year I'll be trying it. I had thought it better than creating cages.

I'm using both methods this year. I had some tomato stakes we got from a furniture factory.

You can't go tie up more then one tomato to a stake unless that stake is pretty large and the stakes eventually go bad. The fencing allows you to plant both sides. You leave it in the ground all winter.

Those are just the pros and cons that I can think of.

Steph

  • [Market-farming] RE: Pole Beans and Tomato Stakes, Stephanie Nosacek, 05/21/2005