market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Protecting against disease: tomato stakes, plant pots & trays, etc.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Protecting against disease: tomato stakes, plant pots & trays, etc.
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 10:28:09 -0400

I had bought used stakes and lost my crop to bacterial spot. I did not have
the
disease on plants growing in the same field with new stakes. You should
disinfect
stakes every year. An easier way is to rotate stakes like rotating land,
leave the
stakes unused on a pile for at least three years. I burn up the twine. My
stakes are
treated and seem to last forever I like treated better, the down side is I
can not
use them for kindling... Bob.