market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomato stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomato stakes
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 07:34:27 -0400

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:06:00 -0600 (GMT-06:00), you wrote:

>Tom, half-inch rebar (concrete reinforcement bar) makes great tomato stakes
>for the Florida weave system. It's a little more expensive the first time,
>but it lasts for years and it's available at most hardware stores. 10-foot
>sections cut in half are typical and work especially well for determinate
>varieties.

We use it also.

We cage our full-size (indeterminate) tomatoes, but the
cages need stakes (or else the weight of the tomatoes causes
the cage to fall down), and we use 5' pieces of rebar for
those. Our local lumberyard cut it for us.

It came in 8' pieces, so I use the leftover 3' pieces for
stakes for smaller, determinate tomatoes (which I don't
cage, but only stake and tie).

Pat
--
ContainerSeeds.com - vegetable, herb, fruit, and edible
flower seeds for successful container growing.