market-farming - RE: [Market-farming] tomato stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: "'sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net'" <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>, 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Market-farming] tomato stakes
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 07:46:28 -0500

Good points. However, unless the stakes are treated, they rot (with a few
exceptions), and in active soil do it quickly. I've seen non-treated
hardwood stakes not last a full season. If they are treated, they can't be
used in an organic program, and, as you said, they can harbor disease,
especially in the hot, humid South. And, unless you live in a vegetable
growing region, they usually have to be ordered, with shipping being costly.
Every grower has to evaluate his/her own situation for the best solution.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm