market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tilling in leaves for potato beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tilling in leaves for potato beds
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:51:32 -0400

It depends on how thick you apply the OM. If its not more than 2" thick and
if you roto-till it thoroughly it will decompose by mid June. I always
sidedress N to compensate for any loss. I often plow down some very massive
overgrown cover crops and plant the next
day, as long a I broadcast 50 pounds of N per acre I have never had a problem
with tie up. As long as you don't give the soil indigestion you will be all
right..... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.