market-farming - [Market-farming] tilling in leaves for potato beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bob111higgins AT comcast.net
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] tilling in leaves for potato beds
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 23:50:11 +0000

Hi All:

I know there were postings on this earlier, but I can't seem to find any
"conclusions" -- I have shredded leaves and spoiled hay on hand that I could
till into my potato beds prior to planting, the leaves esp. to increase
acidity and both for organic matter.

Normally I would have done this the previous fall. If I do it now, will it
tie up too much nitrogen or have other ill effects? Am I better off just
composting this material with soon-to-come grass clippings?

Thanks!

Bob Higgins
Red Brick Farm
Hopewell, NJ