market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tilling in leaves for potato beds

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Janet Bachmann <janetb AT ncat.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tilling in leaves for potato beds
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 10:56:33 -0500

I would use the shredded leaves and spoiled hay as mulch, rather than till them in. I have been very pleased with potatoes grown barely covered with soil, but with a 6-inch or deeper layer of mulch. They are easy to "dig" and so much cleaner at harvest time. Let the earthworms do the tilling.
Janet Bachmann
Fayetteville, AR

bob111higgins AT comcast.net wrote:

Hi All:

I know there were postings on this earlier, but I can't seem to find any
"conclusions" -- I have shredded leaves and spoiled hay on hand that I could
till into my potato beds prior to planting, the leaves esp. to increase acidity and
both for organic matter.