market-farming - [Market-farming] Farmer's Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Farmer's Market
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:26:36 -0800 (PST)

> Wow- Some great ideas so far, but surprisingly few! I'd love to hear a
> few more from folks with well-established, well-advertised markets.
Our market has been around for 25 years, I've been co-manager for 4. We're
in a small community near the Canadian border. We started staging
"events" the year I came on and the market is now 4 times larger. One of
the biggest draws is live music. The market pays the musician(s) $50 to
play between 10-12 o'clock and we schedule them for days when there is
nothing else going on in town. We post flyers all over town and the
neighboring towns, and post newspaper and radio ads. One of our devoted
patrons is a local DJ and he talks up our "events" for free. We've also
done raffles for a basket of market goodies (donated by the vendors) with
big success.