market-farming - [Market-farming] Summer production of cool season vegetables

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Ted Carey" <tcarey AT oznet.ksu.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org, hIGHTUNNELS AT LISTSERV.KSU.EDU
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Summer production of cool season vegetables
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:56:01 -0600

Dear Growers, etc.

I am interested in examples of people using high tunnels, row covers,
shade cloth, misters, sprinkler irrigation, or other tricks to cool
things down enough to produce lettuce, spinach and other cool season
leafy green vegetables in the heat of the summer.

I have to give a talk at an upcoming conference and wanted to have
some practical examples from growers, in addition to the experiences
that some local collaborators and I have had growing leafy greens in
the summer in high tunnels using shade cloth and sprinkler irrigation
in Kansas and Missouri.

Thanks for any information, stories, pictures, etc. you might
provide.

Sincerely,

Ted Carey
K-State Research and Extension Center, Olathe
35125 W 135th St
Olathe, KS 66061
Tel: 913-856-2335 ext. 120
Mobile: 913-645-0007