market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harvest Times for Apache and Arapaho Blackberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harvest Times for Apache and Arapaho Blackberries
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:03:53 -0600

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 03:15:47PM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> I'm having a little trouble figuring out the harvest periods for Apache and
> Arapaho blackberries here is west Texas. The best info I've run across says
> Arapaho begins to ripen the beginning of July and Apache begins to ripen the
> beginning of June. I can't find any information on how long the harvest
> period runs for either variety. I'm guessing it's about two and a half
> weeks, but that's just a guess. Willie, how about your berries, when do
> your harvest periods start and how long do they last? Anyone else have
> these varieties?

Blackberry production vs time is very much a bell shaped curve. Last
year, we sold our first berry 5/5 and our last 7/22. Significant
production went from about 5/12 to about 7/6. You are probably a week
behind us, maybe two. I don't recall our last freeze last year, but it
is generally about 3/1.

We start with Brazos. Rosoborough 3-4 days later. About two weeks
later, Kiowa followed quickly by Chickasaw. Brazos and Rosoborough
overlap Kiowa and Chickasaw by a week or more. Arapaho is later, I
would guess maybe starting mid-June. We have few enough Arapaho that
they are not very noticeable. I don't think we have any Apache.

2-3 weeks of good production for each variety is about right. Shawnee
is better spread out, maybe as much as 6 weeks. Shawnee used to be my
principal variety, but I now have only a few.

Right now, Brazos and Rosoborough are starting to leaf out; Kiowa and
Chickasaw have swelling buds.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 238 days 4 hours 46 minutes