market-farming - [Market-farming] RE: Garlic question-planting times/harvest times

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] RE: Garlic question-planting times/harvest times
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 16:30:08 -0500

On Feb 20, 2005, at 2:30 PM, mmaysen wrote:

If I wait until fall to plant, I won't have any good garlic to eat for
another 15 months.. yikes!

If you can find something worth planting, I'd go ahead and plant a small amount as early in the spring as you can stick it in the ground. You won't get much crop, but you should get something. It'll be little bulbs. Try some of the better garden seed catalogues, maybe some of them have something to spring ship. Planting store garlic risks disease problems, plus which it may not sprout.

Don't think I can stand this store garlic
that long, it's only been a couple of months since I 'ran out' and our
meals are suffering.

Find a farmers' market; and/or ask around for local garlic growers. It's possible nobody's got any of last year's crop left in good shape by now, but it's worth a try. I often have some decent garlic left for my own use this late, though I'm generally sold out well before this; but around here the harvest season was so wet even the stuff in the braids is giving out early. But at least you should be able to get good garlic by July, even if your own spring plant doesn't amount to much.