market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Blackberry Storage
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 09:42:37 -0600

On Sun, Feb 20, 2005 at 09:06:53AM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Yep, I have Apache and Arapaho? Sounds like a juicer or freeze dehydrator
> might be a good investment. Do you juice or dehydrate? If you do, any
> suggestions as to which ones to buy? Saw a steam juicer on the web. Any
> thoughts about those?

The Apaches and/or Arapahos MIGHT make it from one market to the next.
Report.

I don't have time in the berry season to do much processing on them. I
did get a processor to make me some jelly; I THINK they used a steam
juicer. I froze my berries whole until I could get them to the
processor. I rented freezer space; if you could get them juiced, a
home freezer might be practical. BUT, you would probably need a
commercial kitchen to legally use the juicer. I should say, sell
the product that went through the juicer.

I have a (small) Excalibur dehydrator that I've used on figs,
tomatoes, onions, peppers, broccoli, basil. Haven't tried
blackberries, though. Neighbors have made blackberry fruit leather in
a dehydrator; it is of little value, IMHO. In my estimations, a "home"
dehydrator will take a day to do only 2-3 gallons of berries.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 237 days 22 hours 38 minutes