market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] unwanted critters; also roads

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] unwanted critters; also roads
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 19:09:43 -0500

On Feb 18, 2005, at 4:24 PM, Tom at Limerock wrote:

Did not think about the dog. Not sure about the idea, we are on a very busy state road. Lost one 'inside' dog to it already, as well as two young cats.

Fast-traffic roads are a huge hazard: to dogs, cats, escaped livestock, and even farmers, especially farmers trying to get across them on tractors. Those looking for a farm: bear this factor in mind.

On the other hand, they can be better for direct-marketing, if there's a safe pull in for a farm stand.

why would racoons kill cats? I know the cats do not like them, last night when I went in the shed, all the cats were 'up on something' and then I saw the racoon.

I haven't asked the raccoons, but I think there are at least two reasons: one, they want to take over this nice territory that comes with food and shelter, and have it all to themselves, without competition for the food etc. Two, I think they'll eat the cats.

Your cats were "up on something" for a reason; smart cats. I have seen barn cats keep eating right next to a possum, though; and I've heard of them eating next to a skunk.