market-farming - [Market-farming] Cutting celery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana" <gutierrez-lagatta AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Cutting celery
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:01:08 -0600

Cutting celery and lovage are almost indistinguishable when the lovage plant is young. And the flavor is very similar. I understand that lovage plants can grow to 6' tall while cutting celery stays short. My one lovage plant in the greenhouse is only about 18" tall at the moment.

Oriental seed suppliers have whiote, golden and two different green versions of it. If you have an Asian or Phillipini clientele there is a market for it, but it is sold for pennies at the Asian markets. check it out at http://evergreenseeds.com/orcelchincel.html

How does cutting celery compare to lovage? I would describe the taste of my lovage the same way you all are describing the cutting celery (very strong celery taste, but it looks like overgrown parsley). The lovage, though, has the benefit of growing back every year!

  • [Market-farming] Cutting celery, Adriana, 02/18/2005