market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 25, Issue 20

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mark Ritter" <mnr200 AT charter.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 25, Issue 20
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:43:20 -0600

I live in the Milwaukee Wisconsin area and we have a high end grocer called
Sendiks... last fall i was amazed they were selling the ugliest cracked "
heirloom tomatos for 3.99 a lb... and they were selling... i would not be
afraid of selling unperfect tomatoes... this store had signs up listing the
names and the professional signage sold the tomatoes... not the way they
looked ....
Mark
www.botanikka.com
bulk and packet garden seeds

>From my experience, there might be a small increase in costs. It seems to
me that the seeds are not quite as cheap as hybrids. I usually do get more
cracks, splits and cat facing from heirlooms, but a good part of that is
just me and no formal irrigation. The knowledgeable folks do not hesitate
buying toms with 'minor' imperfections. The others folks, I just tell them
to cut that part out. The toms are not for a photo shoot, they are going to
get cut up anyway. Any extra loss in marketable toms can sometimes be made
up in placing a premium price on the heirlooms (something I have trouble
doing but feel I must in the future).

Tom
Limerock Orchards