market-farming - [Market-farming] More thoughts on marketing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] More thoughts on marketing
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 11:11:30 -0700

More thoughts on marketing. As it works today, the marketing industry is
about creating demand, selling people things they don't need or didn't want
in the first place. Olgivig On Advertising explained it all years ago. We
already know this. We know it works too, with the average kid seeing
100,000 commercials by the time they get out of high school. We never see
TV ads or billboards constantly telling us to shop our local farmers
market. They don't drown us in images hammering home the message that to
be rich, sexy, or popular we have to shop our local farmers market. And we
can't compete head on with the billions they spend advertising. It's a
rigged game where we're bound to lose playing by their rules. I'd suggest
natural, locally grown food needs a very different marketing strategy from
what the industrial food culture employs.

paul tradingpost AT gilanet.com
http://largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net