market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] big difference between gross profit and gross profit MAR...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: GreenMrkt AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] big difference between gross profit and gross profit MAR...
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 12:07:19 EST

It would make sense to keep selling tomatoes.

Grocery stores have 'loss leaders' (items that are margined down but keep customers coming to the store-like milk bread and eggs, Turkeys at Thanksgiving, etc.) Each venture like your hypothetical farmstand needs to be assessed in totality. Don't just read the accounting books, read marketing and customer trend info also, in your field of endeavor and any other market that may effect it. Consumers today are extremely sophisticated. Farmers big and small need to be aware of the trend paths that consumers are connected to. Consumers today, for the most part, are global thinkers. As retailers we need to be able to speak the consumers language. Marketing is a well defined language, and there is tons of info on the web. 'The New Farmers Market' is a book that I would recommend that every market farmer read.

Blessings,

Karen Wallman
Green Market Farm
710 Daniel Shays Hwy.