market-farming - [Market-farming] Re: Transplanting Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Re: Transplanting Garlic
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:58:39 -0500

Kevin wrote:

I thought I might take some regular plastic planting trays, fill them with seedling soil, plant the garlic in that, let it over winter, and then transplant in the spring as soon as the ground was workable. Any thoughts on whether this would or wouldn't work.

Folks do grow garlic in pots indoors for the greens. If you're growing for bulbs, it will at least keep the cloves alive better than just keeping them in the cooler, but I'd give them a deep tray so that you can get as many roots at possible. The roots might tangle with each other a bit and you'll lose some roots in transplanting, but at least they will be alive and hopefully healthy. It's not as good as fall planting, but at least your variety will be alive for better conditions next year.

I wouldn't stint on the nitrogen and wood ashes for transplants. If you can't get livestock manure for your garlic and you don't currently have worm box, really, really, really consider building one this winter and stocking it up. There are some nice mesh-bottomed ones for farm use that you can build yourself and don't have to do anything more than rake up the castings (more "compost" than the high-priced casting you buy elsewhere, but the advantage is that you can add it to your potting soil mix or sidedress directly on your plants without worrying about overdoing it).

Dorene

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of