market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] not too late for Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marty Kraft <martyk AT allspecies.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] not too late for Garlic
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 08:44:10 -0600

We planted garlic yesterday.

Last year I planted in a drizzle on Christmas. We had just put in raised
beds and the soil tests were not good. Neither was the garlic crop.

The soil is better this year and we're going to give them some compost tea
to drink. We'll see. I can't help thinking that an October planting would
allow root establishment and growth that these December guys will never
catch up to.

Next year we'll have our garlics all in a row for October. (We don't raise
ducks.)

Marty Kraft
Heartland All Species Project
Troostwood Youth Council & Garden