market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hard soil inside the High tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hard soil inside the High tunnels
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:20:06 -0500

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 09:51:14 -0600, you wrote:

>Yes, and with high tunnel technology getting "ramped-up" in the US, the
>research we really need is in cover crops and other soil building. We all
>know the growing part works, but those of us who are seasonal outside, need
>more information on building soil when growing year-round. What crops are
>best in the close confines - give us the most in the least time, and are
>easy to incorporate with hand tools or small tillage (tiller).

I think that what I am getting from this discussion is that
I'll use containers inside my hoophouse (presently partly
built, but at least it's started).

I was leaning towards containers anyway, because of the
extreme difficulty of working with our 100% clay [you could
make pottery with it] so-called soil.

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful