market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hard soil inside the High tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hard soil inside the High tunnels
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 16:09:16 -0500

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:19:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Now there is a thought, throw pots!
>
>That clay is also very good for lining ponds. Anybody near by need
>pond-lining material?

I'm afraid not. Everyone nearby has the same awful clay.
<g> And I don't think people dig ponds around here on
purpose: it just happens when they want to put an addition
on their homes. It sure happened to our neighbors, who then
spent tons of money trying to get the water out of the
excavation....

I live in the Appalachian Mountains in northern
Pennsylvania. This area wasn't settled by Europeans at all
until well after 1800: the settlers skipped over these
cold, rocky, clay mountains and settled west of here first.
I can understand why. It's a gorgeous area though,
scenically beautiful, and a good place to live. Just not a
good place to garden, unless you import all the soil (which
is basically what we have done).

Yes, I know that we could improve the soil gradually (if we
could dig in it, that is, which we can't). But anyway I
don't want to have decent soil at some future date: I want
to garden NOW. I'm already 60. (Bah. And yesterday I was
18....)

http://www.visittiogapa.com

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful