market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Size of high tunnels

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim Vibert <jim AT windwalkerboats.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Size of high tunnels
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:05:19 -0600

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Size of high tunnels
Alan, we have a 20 by 100  high wall with 8 by 8  double doors at each end to get a Kubota in with a tiller.  The length is almost too short at 100.  Joan has 20 to 25 varieties growing in it with another 3 or 4 items for a K State test.  However,  we roll up the sides and I think it might be a stretch to roll up a 150 foot wall from one end.  If you go to three smaller houses with your parts you will have six ends to build not two, much more work.  Our smaller house is 40 feet long and it is a tight fit for our BCS.  Our big house is also situated so it gets the run off from the land around it so it is always moist except for the hot dry summer weeks where we use drip.  The south end has a moat around it as water is a problem in heavy rains.

-- Jim Vibert
Windwalker Farm

Alan Whitaker11/23/04 8:51 PM

What is the size of high tunnels that most of you are using?  I bought a 24' x 150'
from a fellow last year for $300.  I've thought about making 3 - 48 footers.  Do you all make/build yours longer or shorter?

thanks.......*Alan