market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mild fall weather?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mild fall weather?
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:55:16 EST

In a message dated 11/14/04 6:28:52 PM Central Standard Time, Mongotrout AT mchsi.com writes:

What is the weather really
supposed to be like here anyway?

Good question Ken.  I have lived here since 1964 on this farm and every year has been different.  We had record cool summer, and some months record rain fall, which lead to record corn crop in our area.  On a norm of 250 bu corn and 65 bu beans.  Corn for an average of this amount is unheard of for our area but I have heard of some yield somewhat over the 250 mark.  We had one field do a little over that of 262bu over the scale's, so the old saying rain makes grain really held true for us this year even though it was a record cool summer.  Go figure?

Had record yields from our gardens this year as well, even thhough there were times it was really a challange to even get through the mud to pick, but is sure beat's what we had last year in the three years of drought, I will take the mud any day over the dust and the heat.

Phil from SW Iowa
Zone 4