market-farming - [Market-farming] Long Island Cheese and Pie pumpkins

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Vivian Kooken" <vslk AT thepipeline.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Long Island Cheese and Pie pumpkins
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:03:01 -0400

Hi List,

I have been reading for some time - this is my first post.

We grew Long Island Cheese Pumpkins this year. They looked really great
last week when I picked them, but now have mottled, dark spots on them - all
of them. Can't sell them, I guess they will all be dinner. Any ideas about
what discolored them? My other winter squash varieties are fine.

About pie pumpkins -- we grew "Long Pie Pumpkin" an heirloom from Fedco
Seeds in Maine this year. It was the first time I have ever grown this
variety and it produced really well, but I haven't tasted any yet. They
look like giant zucchinis in the garden, a dark green, but where the squash
rests on the soil is deep orange. They are supposed to turn completely
orange in storage and that is when they are ready to use. They are supposed
to make great pies.

As an aside, one of the best "pumpkin" pies I ever made was with blue
hubbard squash.

Best,
Vivian
(Growing in southern New Hampshire - zone 5)