market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Undercutting prices

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pat Meadows <pat AT meadows.pair.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Undercutting prices
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:52:23 -0400

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:31:12 -0600, you wrote:

>I'd like to agree about the other stuff, but we have nothing like
>unregulated capitalism, since government is knee-deep in everything.
>Everything. We can't name a single area of commerce that government isn't
>involved in. If you sell used books, you have taxable income, maybe state
>too, and don't forget sales tax and other red tape. Of course it isn't worth
>it if you have all that paperwork just to make a few pennies.

We did the paperwork, which was surprisingly easy and quick.
We paid our state tax and our federal tax. There was no
sales tax because we sold only on the Internet, except on
sales being shipped to an address in Pennsylvania (the state
we live in), and we actually never had one!

We have an S-corp and therefore the we conduct business,
etc., and file the taxes and so on via the S-corp. We do
several little hopefully-making-money things under the aegis
of the corporation. The paperwork is not especially
burdensome.

Bookkeeping: Quicken. Taxes: TurboTax. Easy.

>> it's everyone's
>>right (by law) to sell whatever they like for whatever price
>>they wish to charge.
>
>But if they're in a contract with a private or publicly run market, that
>market has the right to set rules and sign contracts under those rules. Now
>if you can go sell someplace by the side of the road, you can probably do as
>you please. IF your city, county, or state don't outlaw it.

I don't know if you are correct that the market can set the
prices legally.

The market is just a venue, theoretically open to *all* of a
particular sort of people: the people who grow their own
produce. If you kicked me out of such a market because I
priced my goods lower than others, maybe I'd sue you.

(This is all hypothetical, all right? To repeat: I
personally would not do any of this.)

It would be interesting to know if any legal case has ever
been brought about this, and the resolution of it.

Pat
--
Coming soon: www.containerseeds.com - vegetable, herb,
and edible flower seeds especially selected for successful